Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tagged again!


cook next door
Originally uploaded by foodchronicles.
Karen at The Pilgrim's Pots and Pans has yet again tagged me for a meme. This one was authored by Nicky and Oliver over at Delicious Days! They also have the genealogy of the meme. It is the most amaxing list of bloggers! Almost everyone in the food blogging community has been tagged and there is so much to learn about everyone. I think I have a few others yet to be tagged so we still have a few food bloggers out there to go. Off to the meme:

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

My first memeory is not a good one! Way back in the first days of cooked Jello puddings...I was told by my nother that you had to stir it constantly until it began to boil and thicken. So off I went to make the pudding! One packaged of jello pudding mix, 2 cups of cold milk, a pan, stir it together and heat up the stove. Little did a 7 year old know about heating ice cold milk and stirring a concoction until it boiled. I began to think my arm would fall off! Finally about thrity minutes later it began to heat, 20 minutes after that it was actually boiling and I could stop! I never wanted to make pudding again! Actually I think when I tell the story I can still hear my mom saying the spoon had to touch the bottom of the pan at all times to avoid the pudding from sticking and burning. Ugh! However, we all enjoyed a good dish of pudding later in the day, and a chocoholic was born!

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

My grandma on my mother's side. She was an amazing cook and baker. We would only see her about two weeks out of every year but those two weeks were filled with the most wonderful of treats and excellent food. I still have nightmares so I can wake up and have a slice of lemon coconut cake!

Do you have an old photo as "evidence" of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

As with Karen, unfortunately no. Film was expensive and not used to record everyday mundane tasks such as cooking (so says Mom). Obviously, things are better for me now!

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

Rarely does one dish make my palms sweat. What does, is 30 minutes before any cooking event (catering, or special occasions) I get into panic mode and completely question my abilities. Every time! Even though I am usually lauded with compliments I still get stage fright. As Mathew Carnegie said: "It doesn't matter how polished a speaker you are (replace speaker with cook), you should still get a bit nervous before an engagement." It helps me keep on my toes!

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?

My most valued kitchen gadget is my cuisinart. I have written about it in the past. Some would call it an extravagance, but for me, it is the most useful item I own. I use it for everything. In fact I have just acquired a second to help ease the burden of the first.

Disappointment: Hmmm. Teflon pans. Until I learned that a well seasoned pan was the best for any cooking, I thought teflon was a godsend. However, the flaking and scratching that goes on is creepy. I recommend seasoning a pan or two and forgetting the teflon, you'll be a better cook in the long run!

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like and probably no one else.

Hah! My favorite: Fritos with hershey bars. While traveling a good dose of sweet and salty is a comfort. It's quick and always a conversation starter.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without?

Of course chocolate, in any form. Farm fresh tomatoes and Salmon. I could possibly live on these three ingredients alone. Well, the occasional group of mixed greens would also be required.

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer? Well then, feel free to add one!

3 quickies:

Favorite ice cream: Baskin Robbins Chocolate Mint or if I'm in a sorbet mood, Orange or tangerine.

You will probably never eat (again??): Any organ meats. I've eaten a few and with all the good food out there, why eat something that is used to filter out impurities?

Signature dish: Tartletts.

I followed my meme forebears here:

Question added by Zarah: On average, how many times a week would you cook something to satisfy your sweet tooth? Twice a month. I really try to keep sweets at bay. I know by looking at me, most people would disagree, but I try not to indulge in too many sweets. Of course, chocolate is a daily event - 4 ounces at least.

Question added by Cathy: What do you usually eat for breakfast? Steel cut oats. Mmmmm.

Question added by Alice: What are your stand-by dinner options when you don't have the time or the inclination to follow or create a new recipe? Chicken. A good chicken breast topped with salsa and rice on the side always is good in a pinch.

Question added by Karen: What would you like to cook someday that you haven't tried before?

I really would like to attempt a deep fried turkey. I have read rave reviews and think I could manage to do it without burning down the garage!

Question added by the chronicler: Sweet or savory? We all lean to one or the other, where do you lean? Savory for me!

Who am I going to tag?

Well a couple of new food bloggers out there should let us get to know them a bit by joining the meme:

I have chosen to hear from Chandra from Lick the Spoon. She's new to me and I think she's got some interesting things to say.

Also, Lisa at Cakefun. She's all things cake on the blog, but I bet there's a lot more to learn!

And finally, Grommie at The Power of Cheese has an interesting blog. She entered a couple of IMBBs and her egg entry was number one in my book! I'd love to hear more from her!