Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Quick update: Quinoa

If you are looking for a protein alternative to animal products look no further than Quinoa. I have used it on several occasions and love the flavor in sweet or savory uses. My favorite: Quinoa for breakfast. Cook Quinoa as usual, 2 to 1 water ratio, then add your favorite dried fruit when it is about 2 minutes from being done. The fruit steams and becomes soft and then mixes in well. You don't need to even add a sweetener of any kind. The benefit for me is no heartburn. When I eat other grains for breakfast (oats, wheat, or rice) I usually end up with heartburn before lunch. I have wrestled with that since childhood. When I chose to try Quinoa I was hoping I would have different results, good news I did. Not heartburn like with other whole grains! Yay.