Thursday, November 01, 2007

And we're off! First Cookie?

Well, we need to start off slowly. We'll start with a few ingredients and then build to the real fancy stuff at the end of the month. SO let's begin with my favorite!

Spritz

Yes, the simple Spritz. My favorite. It is so easy to make and the taste! Oh the taste! I love that you can color them any color you want and add sprinkles or any other kind of decoration to suit your needs.

Recipe:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I recommend King Arthur brand)
1/2 tsp salt 1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream together butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Color as desired. I usually pick two colors plus leave a third of the dough as is. Red, green, and butter dough colors. Using a cookie press, choose your desired shape and press onto aluminum cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 10 minutes until dough is just turning golden brown around edges. Store in an airtight container. These freeze well, but don't freeze the dough, it's better baked prior to freezing.

The first time I made these, the cookies kept sticking to the press and not the cookie sheet, I hated them! Then I figured out that the dough and the pan worked best if they are the same temperature. I use parchment paper, some will tell you not to for these cookies, but I am a creature of habit and always use it and have good results. The press does have a learning curve, but I cheat because I use and electric press. It assures good results!

If you want chocolate spritz, you can blend in 2 ounces of melted chocolate (cooled) into the butter sugar mixture. Add your decorations like sugar sprinkles prior to baking them. Once they come out of the oven you can also dip them in melted chocolate and then roll them in chopped nuts or sprinkles. Once you're done, you have a gazillion cookies and you'll love your results!

Lots of Spritz