Friday, January 05, 2007

Christmas leftovers


This is not your average leftover! It is the remains of the chocolate sorbet I made for daughter #3. She and I love chocolate sorbet and this recipes is fantastic. I got it from a friend and have altered it just a bit.

You take 2 1/2 cups of water, 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2/3 cup of cocoa, and a pinch of salt. Boil it together in a saucepan until the sugars aredissolved. Remove it from heat, add 5 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped and a tablespoon of vanilla; and whisk it until smooth. If you want a fine texture pour it through a sieve and strain into a bowl to cool until chilled. I was in a hurry and put it in the fridge. Then once it's chilled put it in your favorite ice cream maker and churn until it is set up. Transfer it to a freezer container until your ready to eat it. It will have to sit out a few minutes before you can serve it to soften it up a bit.

How I changed it: I added a half teaspoon of cardamum. When we were at the Penzey's store in Torrance I found a great dutched chocolate. It was dark and rich looking and the label said it had twice the flavor as store bought. It was an excellent choice for the sorbet. I liked the outcome very much. A bit had been sitting out and melted to a "syrup". Of course, I had to see what it was like, and I have decided to begin using this as a syrup for hot chocolate! It is rich, has a full body without being too watery. Very nice.