Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The great Quinoa experiment


Quinoa and dates, originally uploaded by foodchronicles.

I told you I was going to do a bit of experimenting with this grain. Here is the first. I boiled it up, 2 cups of water to one cup Quinoa (just like long grain rice) bring it to a boil, cover, and then let it simmer for 10 minutes. It's ready to eat. Very simple.

I then added walnuts and dates. We still have a few walnut stuffed dates left over from Christmas and I decided to throw a few in.

Walnut stuffed dates

I added a bit of butter, which I did because of oatmeal, which I won't add again. I didn't notice it at all, so why add it? Stirred it up and I really like it. It was a very good breakfast. In a 1/2 cup cooked Quinoa, there are 10 1/2 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein. As opposed to oatmeal at 27 grams of carbs and 5 grams of protein I think we have a new hot breakfast choice.