Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Wonderful World of Blogging

Why do we do it? There is a reason for every person with a weblog. Exhibition. Journaling a life. Keeping up with friends and family. Writing for the love of writing. I could go on and on, I won't though. For me it is a connection. We have become a world of anonymous masses. Funny, I say that because I blog under a pseudonym! The blogging world gives us a chance to establish neighborhoods. A chance to correspond with people from all over the world. I think it is a wonderful way of getting to know people. Because we all have a story. As mundane as our lives may seem, up close and real to us, others find it facsinating that we overcome challenges, try new ideas and have little fear, or huge amounts, in stepping out to try new things.

I have become a part of several "neighborhoods". I have friends in places I've never been. Some places I've always wanted to go, yet not had the time or opportunity to travel. It is an adventure - like reading fiction - I can go wherever I choose to go!

A couple of days ago I went to New York City. I had been there, in the 1980s, when I was a stock broker in another life. I have not been back and I know there is more to see than Wall Street. So I went back to visit. This time to catch up with a new friend: Samantha of Pastry Elf or as I know her "slouching towards ganache". (read her archives and find out why she uses that phrase) Over the last few months I have had the opportunity to get to know Samantha. She is a brave soul. Why? Well, she's left behind the comfort of the corporate world. A great job, doing marvelous and exciting things, making a nice income. For what you ask? To pursue a dream!

Samantha decided to chuck the corporate world and become a pastry chef. She has gone to school, graduated, and began working in "the life". Not only has she done this, but, she has documented it very well. I like her style too. She records her days as I would: The joy of baking a wonderful creation, the sheer exhaustion of a new pursuit, the frustration of posting frustrations. I like that I know some of Samantha's dreams, to be in Maine with her wonderful husband, having her own business. Or maybe moving that dream to upstate New York, near the CIA, possibly. I like that I know she knits, on the subway at that!

It is great to have a peek into so many lives. I'm not a voyeur. I just love the "human-ness" of it all. We all are in this together, we might as well get to know each other. Go get to know Samantha, she'll share her triumphs and her trials, you'll be glad to say you know her too. Just think, maybe someday we'll actually plan a trip just to buy cupcakes from her!

Watch for other "friends" I've found along my journey!