Monday, October 06, 2008

German Chocolate Birthday cake - The boneyard version

Today is my one true love's birthday. I say one true love because we fell in love my senior year of high school and have been together ever since. We're totally inseparable. He has been being really good and in the past three months he's dropped almost 50 pounds! Me, well, that's another story, but I have a good reason. (I'll tell you about it sometime.) So in my best supportive wife role I made him a cake. It's his fault though. Last night he asked for a slice of German Chocolate Cake. Well, today I made it for him. Here's a pic of the boneyard - after the carnage.
German Chocolate Cake

This morning I used my great sidebar link for FoodBlog Search to find a great recipe for Coconut Pecan Frosting. At the top was one of my favorite bloggers Nicole, of Baking Bites. I used her recipe adding a bit of extra coconut as my husband loves the stuff (sorry Thor!) and it turned out great! I frosted a three layer six inch round cake and the picture above is the boneyard. I didn't take a picture of the cake prior to cutting it so you're left to guess what it looked like. The granddaughter insisted on sprinkling just abit more coconut on it as we finished putting it together. She loved helping make poppa's cake.

This was the birthday boy's plate when he was done:
German Chocolate Cake

Now he's in a sugar coma, after not having any for about three months. I am so proud of him. He's doing great! Happy Birthday Babe! I'll be seeing less and less of you with your will power and stamina.