Sunday, June 22, 2008

Gluten free, Dairy free, Soy free, wedding cake top tier

Finally, the day has arrived. I am delivering the cake this afternoon. The bride is SDA so they wedding is a Sunday wedding. I will take a pic of the stacked cake when I get there and add it to this post. The frosting was interesting. It is sweet and tastes pretty much like commercial frostings, yet it is difficult to get it to take color. It still has a streak of white throughout. Very frustrating. I will not do a cake again with a request for a dark color. Pastels will do fine, but not deep color rich colors.

The frosting is simple to make. Make a good paste of water/powdered sugar. I used about four cups of sugar to a 1/4 cup of hot hot hot water. It is about the same consistency as a drizzle glaze. Not too runny (you cannot see thought it) if yours gets too runny add in more sugar. It should ribbon in your bowl. Then I added about a pound and a half of the Spectrum shortening. Spectrum was the shortening of choice because it had to be dairy and soy free. I added the Spectrum to the sugar mix and beat it on med hi for about 15 minutes. It became fluffy and easy to spread on the cake.

Gluten free, Dairy free, Soy free wedding cake bottom tier

At delivery:

The cake, stacked