Friday, September 15, 2006

Cake fun this week


rock n roll, hoochie koo
Originally uploaded by foodchronicles.
This week I had an unusual request. I had a couple come in looking for a cupcake cake. I had seen them on the web but had never done one. It is frosted like a cake, then your guests just pull the picture apart as the cupcakes are consumed.

Problem being, they wanted 100 cupcakes utilized in the cakes. Wow. It was a party planned for two people turning 50. Of course the theme was "fifties" for the main cake. Then for the guy a Laker cake and for the girl they asked for palm trees.

I got about half of the cupcakes on the 1/2 sheet board and then put the rest on a couple of 18" boards. It was fun to do and I think they'll like the result. If requested, I wouldn't mind doing a few more. The only thing I didn't like about them was the cake to frosting ratio. It was more like a cake.

Here's a view of the other two "cakes":

Palm trees

Laker jersey