Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cakes of the week


Fifa 2006 Germany cake
Originally uploaded by foodchronicles.
This is a picture of the most difficult cake of the week.It really wasn't so difficult at all. Only, I had another person telling me it was so hard, how could I do it?, or that cake is going to be the death of me if you don't come in!

See, the problem was, I tore the minicus in my knee and half way through the week I had to go to the orthopoedist to have him decide whether or not we're going to do surgery.

Then came the freak out.

But drugs were issued, time to get rid of inflammation was determined and the time line for surgery was lengthened. I went back to work to a stressed out boss with too many cakes to do. So what to do?

Call for wonder woman! S'mee came to help out yesterday. She did most of the cakes that needed to be done by the other person in the bakery so she could finish a wedding cake while I worked on my cake orders. S'mee helped me with the soccer ball portion of my cake. I had covered it in fondant and it had begun to weep very severely due to the high humidity we are experiencing. So we removed the fondant, smoothed it with buttercream ans S'mee used the star tip to rescue my cake at the last minute.

The client was thrilled with her cake. Her husband is being surprised with tickets to the finals for the World Soccer deal in Germany and brought in this picture. I did pretty good with s'mee's help!

Here are a couple of other cakes S'mee did for orders:

Lyle likes cars by S'mee

Cute car lover cake for someone turning three!

Jungle cake by S'mee

This one had to be a jungle theme. It turned out so cute! Check the alligator waiting to chomp someone not paying attention! I love the bamboo writing. S'mee did a great job on all the cakes she did and the other half of my working arrangement kept saying she was awed by our combined talents. Hey we're pretty humble saying, pretty much anyone could do this stuff.

Baby Shower Girl

The last cake is a baby shower cake. The woman just couldn't figure out what she wanted. I finally opted for this and she should be pretty happy with it. Oh, yes, I did repair the spot where I blobbed my finger in it! It was a lot like the cake I did for another customer the week prior who wanted a Mary Engebreit theme but no flowers:

Life is just a chair of bowlies