Sunday, April 30, 2006

May First

Many people I know, don't have the same opinion as me about undocumented workers, it frustrates me that we cannot come to a meeting of the minds. I have worked side by side with undocumented workers for years. I have applauded their work and cried with them over certain injustices in their lives. And I have said, if hard work was all it took to be "successful", the Mexicans would rule the world. We have a silly mentality in America, that if you work hard and do the right thing all your dreams will come true. And the Mexicans believe that. They do jobs many Americans won't do themselves. They work hard, many of them two jobs, and see very little in the way of "success". Success to them is having their children be able to go to college, serve in the military, purchase a home. They realize their sacrifice will make the lives of their children better. I appreciate their sacrifices.

Shuna, of Eggbeater fame has penned a May 1st post that says everything I would like to say, yet more eloquently than I. Please, go and read it, and try to think about the questions she asks.