Sunday, September 25, 2005

It's my favorite time of year


Fall gourds
Originally uploaded by foodchronicles.
Yesterday was markedly cooler. There was the ever so slightly cool chill all through the day. It's wonderful! In a week or so we should heat back up to a deathly heat again, then it should cool down for good.

I was shopping yesterday and came across this wonderful assortment of gourds, dried corn and small pumpkins. The colors are so vibrant! I especially liked the green and white bumpy gourd. What wonderful character!

With the gourds signaling the arrival of baking season I can hardly wait to turn the oven back on. Baking pies are a favorite pastime of mine and I can hardly wait to get started.

Someone once told me the small pumpkins can be baked whole, purred and used for pies. I will be baking a couple to explore that possibility.