Monday, January 17, 2005

Food, Glorious, Food!

I can't believe it! Here we are in the middle of winter - even in SoCal - (did you see us on the news last week?) and I can STILL buy just about anything my litle heart desires, foodwise. Saturday while shopping I spied the most beautiful fresh raspberries! A little creme fraische and we're there!

On Friday I was in Anaheim for a packaging show. Oooh! I love packaging! However, the parking was abismal. I had the fortune of being able to park near the berry fields though. It was a mile (maybe a bit less) walk to the 60,000 square foot building. Once there I would spend the afternoon looking at all kinds of packaging and playing the version of dodgeball that uses actual humans instead the usually sporting fare. Again I digress.

What was wonderful to view was the berry fields. There they are in the midst of commerce, concrete and cars. A few acres left of a dream built in the early 1900s. It has been rumored that Disneyland has tried, unsuccessfully, to buy the farmer out for years. The berries, strawberries to be exact, were blooming in full splendor! In fact a few were being harvested. There is nothing better than a fully ripe strawberry in the middle of January. A sprinkle of sweetener or some fresh cream and you have found heaven.

Remind me again why I love SoCal.