Thursday, September 29, 2005

A New Adventure

I usually do what I want. I work when I feel like it, not that I am independently wealthy or anything close to it, but I won't take a job just because I need money. Thursday of last week I went exploring a bit to find a bakery my daughter had mentioned was in the area. I found it, and as I was walking in, I noticed a sign on the window that advertised a part time opportunity. Hmm. Maybe I'll inquire about it. I asked, left my name and number, they said the owner was out and would call. Tuesday afternoon, I called to see if they had decided to hire someone else. The owner said not yet and asked me to come in and talk with her. To keep this short - I got the job! Yay!

Many people have already asked why I would go from being a corporate manager to working part time at a small bakery. I know I don't have to explain it to most of you, but for those that still question it, it's because of the experience I can gain. I have never worked in a professional baking operation. There is so much to learn! I am excited to get to learn new things and that knowledge is usually my impetus for just about everything I choose to do. They are a scratch bakery and so there is going to be some great learning opportunities. One thing I have to do is get a food handlers permit. I haven't had one of those in years. It's funny - all the years of working in a food production facility you would think I already would have one. No, it wasn't required for us. Don't know why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that we didn't deal directly with the public.

It is a cute boutique bakery. Cakes, cupcake and cookies mostly. I'll take pictures of some of their stuff when I get a chance, probably not today though. My favorite is a cute little turquoise blue cake, with lime green trim and orange polka dots. Really cute. I'm off to learn and wash some pots and pans!