Saturday, December 08, 2007

Frustrated

For two years, we have not had measurable rainfall. I finally get done with "have" to do things and thought I would have some time to do some candy making. Had I known I could make it rain by simply deciding to make candy, I probably would have decided a year ago.

Yes, on the agenda are meringue mushrooms, peanut brittle, marshmallows and rocky road. I will have to satisfy myself with the rocky road for now. Why? Because for the second weekend in a row in Southern California it is raining! Who knew?

Stay tuned for pictures and descriptions!

I'll leave you with this recipe. It's from my oldest's grandpa in law:

If you have a microwave and you'd like to whip up some peanut brittle in a hurry, this recipe will let you do it in a little less than 10 minutes (plus cooling time, of course). Times are based on a 700W microwave oven so please adjust your cooking time to suit your equipment!

Ingredients:

* 1.5 cups of raw, shelled Virginia peanuts (leave the skins on)
* 1 cup of granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light corn syrup
* 1 teaspoon of butter
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

Method:

* Mix the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe casserole dish until well mixed
* Cook in a microwave on high for 4 minutes; open and stir the mix well; then cook on high for another 4 minutes
* Open, stir in the butter and vanilla, then microwave on high for a further 2 minutes
* Finally, remove from the microwave, open the dish, add the baking soda and stir quickly until the mix is light and foamy
* Immediately pour the mixture onto a lightly-greased baking sheet, spreading it out thinly.
* Allow the mix to cool - then break it into small pieces and store in an airtight container.