Sunday, May 03, 2009

Cake class

I'm teaching a beginning cake decorating class beginning Thursday. It's funny that s'mee and I both were asked to teach them. She got through hers, and I of course, put them off until now. It will be a basic class, then if the students wish to go on they'll have to get specific on what they want to learn.
Spring cake

Week 1
will cover the basics of baking, prepping and the ways to make frosting. I was going to have them bring a cake to work with that first week until one of the attendees wrote me and asked just how you use parchment paper when baking a cake.

Week 2 we will put into practice a bit of what we learned in week 1. We will fill, and crumb coat then frost the cake in a basic icing. We'll talk about smoothing, and a bit about decorative tips.

Week 3 we will use the tips to make differnt designs and cover questions from week 2's experimentation at home. Well talk about different ways cakes can be shaped and flavored.

Week 4
we will talk a bit about fondant. I have told them fondant is its own class, I will not be teaching how to cover a cake in fondant in this series. We will learn a few fondant decorations and flower making a bit.

All in all we should have a great time.