Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Perfect example of pantry food


Risotto, originally uploaded by foodchronicles.

Last night I got home and was tired. I had been on a photo shoot of a graduation for a friend. I took a gig of photos over the span of two hours.

Dinner? Oh yeah. Dinner. What to make. I turned to the pantry and quickly threw together a good meal because my pantry had some necessary items in it.

Left over chicken from Easter dinner. Mushrooms, always on hand. Butter. Parmesan. Risotto. Shallots. Chicken broth.

Mince shallots. 2Tbs of butter in saucepan. Add shallots cook until clear. Add 1 cup uncooked risotto. Stir for two minutes. Melt butter in med fry pan. Add mushrooms, chop left over chicken breast into 1 inch cubes. While cooking shrooms and shallots, bring chicken broth (3 cups) to a simmer. Add 1/2 cup of broth to risotto. Stir in until almost evaporated. Rice will begin the creaming process. Add remaining broth, one cup at a time, over the span of 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken to mushrooms. Heat chicken to warm. Add 1/2 cup of parmesan to risotto along with 2 tablespoons of butter. Add in chicken and mushroom mixture. Serve.

This took all of 25 minutes. Served with a salad of mixed greens and romaine, with a bit of cheese and salami. And dressing of course.

Dinner

I was able to throw this together at the last minute, being tired and hungry because I could turn to a well stocked pantry. It was easier than saying to myself, just run and grab something and being unsatisfied.