Monday, June 06, 2005

Paper Chef

This is my first entry into Paper Chef! This is number 7 of the paper Chef series, it is being hosted by Owen at Tomatilla this month. Thank you Owen!

I decided to join the fun when I took a look at the ingredients list. Medjool dates, buttermilk, egg and honey!
Medjools are my very favorite thing in the world. They are a wonderful spill over from my childhood. They bring back wonderful memories of baking cookies with grandmother. Actually, not a lot of cooking was done on my part, but I did happen to consume a lot!

So where to begin? I have experimented with dates for years and with the given ingredient list I thought I would try to keep it very simple. The only other ingredient I added is walnuts. I give you Tempura Fried Dates

Ingredients:

1 lb of medjool dates, pitted (slice lengthwise on one side of date, remove pit.)
Walnut, halves and quarters
1/4 cup of honey
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups ice cold club soda
Buttermilk to thin batter
4 cups of oil

Add honey to walnuts and glaze well. Fill cavity of medjool date with walnut and honey mixture. Place on tray in refrigerator to chill for thirty minutes.

For batter:
Combine flour, egg and club soda in a bowl and mix until all is wet. Add buttermilk in small amount to thin, but not too thin!

Heat oil in pan to 375 degrees. When oil has reached full temperature (and not before) drop a date in the tempura mixture and cover well. Carefully place date in oil and cook until golden brown. Remove from oil to drain. To plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired, or drizzle a little honey on the plate. No more than three dates per serving, as these are quite rich. They also work great as a dessert platter addition. Consume!

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. The heat really enhances the date flavor and the tempura batter crunch along with the walnuts is an added texture that enhance this wonderful little dessert.